MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occured. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Ideas for what to do when speed is good
Current time: 08-06-2020, 07:51 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
According to Google Webmaster Tools, pages on my site load on average in 1.0 seconds. This number has varied plus or minus 200 milliseconds over the past three months.

I'm finally satisfied with the speed, and I think I can now afford to implement changes that may even slow the load time down a little, as long as they help in other areas.

The site I run is a small hobby forum. I decided to increase the maximum number of displayed posts before page split from the default 15 to 100(!). Tests of a few 100-post long pages show approximately 30% slower load time in comparison to their old 15-post short version. So the speed is still very good IMHO.

I'm hoping this change may improve the user experience because readers will be able to read in most cases the entire thread without having to click to go to the next page.

This change reduced the number of URLs on my site by about 20%, which I think is beneficial, too.

I'm hoping that search engines may rank some of my pages now better because they now contain more text.

The time will tell if this was a good move or not. :-)

Marvin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Ideas for what to do when speed is good - Marvin - 04-08-2012 10:10 AM