MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occured. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Do cheap CDNs really deliver?
Current time: 08-13-2020, 10:10 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
02-09-2011, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2011 11:01 AM by Marvin.)
This morning I signed up with MaxCDN, but I canceled a few hours later because the performance of my site with the CDN was worse than without it. To judge the performance I used webpagetest.org, tools.pingdom.com, and also YSlow FireFox plugin.

I also wonder about how many servers in various locations do they really make available to us. To view IP addresses of servers from which your site's content is being served to visitors in different geographical locations across the world, you may use just-ping.com. As an example, let's have a look at cdn.webpagetest.org in the following test: http://www.just-ping.com/index.php?vh=cd...vhost=_&c= Unfortunately, at this moment, I only see content being served from the same single IP all across the globe.

After canceling MaxCDN, I signed up with VPS.NET, but after already 7 hours, they still have not set up my account and I have not yet been able to test the performance. But I'm not holding my breath. I've searched, and I found a website ( yoast.com ) of one of the users of their CDN (Level 3) service. I ran his CDN url via just-ping.com, http://www.just-ping.com/index.php?vh=cd...vhost=_&c= but while I do see various server locations serving content, they all seem to be located in the USA, even those serving to visitors in Europe, Asia, etc. This is disappointment. I'll wait till I can test my own site on this VPS.NET myself, before deciding what to do next.

I've also considered DistributionCloud.com, even though it costs more than I will likely be willing to pay ($150/mo for 50GB/mo). However, two chat requests have gone unanswered, and no one seems to be there to answer the phone when I called their sales and even customer service. There doesn't seem to be a way to sign up / purchase on line.

Anyone know of any CDN for not much more than $100/mo that actually manages to speed up a website, and actually manages to serve content from servers geographically close to the visitor?

Marvin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Do cheap CDNs really deliver? - Marvin - 02-09-2011 10:46 AM
RE: Do cheap CDNs really deliver? - Marvin - 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
RE: Do cheap CDNs really deliver? - Marvin - 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
RE: Do cheap CDNs really deliver? - sajal - 02-10-2011, 11:35 PM
RE: Do cheap CDNs really deliver? - Marvin - 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM