Current time: 10-30-2020, 11:12 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Results not looking good. Need some help please.
12-05-2013, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 04:36 AM by robzilla.)
RE: Test Results not looking good. Need some help please.
Quote:Every time someone bounces from a Search Link the page is lowered in the ranking for that search term.

Sorry, but that's grossly inaccurate. By that logic, I could easily ruin the rankings of any competitor. While users bouncing back to the results pages may be one of hundreds of (small) relevance factors, it would be far more complex than you make it out to be.

I have to nip this in the bud because there are just too many false claims going around, especially on the relation between page speed and search rankings. Companies that offer performance-related services have a hand in this, and Google understandably makes no effort to dispel them: unlike the whole PageRank debacle, having webmasters obsess over page speed is actually good for the web.

The influence of page speed on search engine rankings is often overstated. Pages with poor load times should be downgraded, and I'm sure they are, but it's all relative: just because a page on site A loads in half the time it takes to load a page on site B, by itself does not mean it should rank higher -- unless perhaps both sites would otherwise be scored exactly the same for a given query, but that'd classify as an edge case. The point at which you get into trouble is when load times begin to really interfere with the user experience, and I'm not sure the site up for discussion here would qualify for that. Improving page load times may, however, result in more pages viewed, 'likes', backlinks, and those may somehow seep back into search rankings, so it's worth focusing on from all perspectives.

Another thing I noticed is that the Droid Sans font is loaded only for the breadcrumbs. That's a waste.

Has your developer responded to any of this, Charlie? And is this a fully managed type of service? If not, you could consider a post in the Web Site Optimization Help Needed forum to get some professional help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Test Results not looking good. Need some help please. - robzilla - 12-05-2013 04:22 AM