Current time: 03-08-2021, 09:21 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Help me to Analyse the Performance and get to the Root cause
05-15-2014, 12:28 AM
RE: Help me to Analyse the Performance and get to the Root cause
As far as Windows vs Linux, they can both perform well. Scaling Nginx is a lot easier for ME but that's mostly because I don't have a lot of experience tuning an IIS install. It looks like the site has a lot of custom back-end application logic so I'd recommend just looking into instrumenting and improving that. New Relic has a Windows agent that can probably tell you what in the code is the slow parts. Wordpress is NOT a solution. Yes, they may have a theme that is lightweight but if you've hand-built an app then it makes no sense whatsoever.

We should probably fork the CDN discussion off to a separate thread but I'll weigh in with my 2c based on a lot of history running huge global sites as well as small regional ones.

If you are serving content to a fairly small region (within just the US, Just within Europe or even a single country) and your server is hosted fairly centrally to that region then a CDN isn't necessary and may actually hurt things. If you are serving traffic globally then a CDN is CRITICAL to performance.

When you start talking about India (or Australia) -> US you start getting round trip times on the order of 1/4 second. Every socket connect and request has to pay that round trip cost but the real killer is in TCP slow start. For each new connection you can only deliver 4-15KB (depending on server TCP config) before having to make another round trip and it doubles for each additional round trip. Delivering a useful amount of content ends up requiring a lot of those round trips and your get fetch times measured in seconds even for small resources.

CDNs can also provide a lot of other helpful services that aren't directly related to the perf of serving a single page but do seriously affect the scalability of the system. If you serve a lot of static content you can offload all of that bandwidth (and qps) onto a CDN which gives you a lot fewer servers to manage. They can also provide "evergreen" failovers to static pages in the case that your origins go down.

Yes, you are handing off some responsibility and adding a dependency but all of the major CDN's tend to have better uptime than individual hosting (or your upstream providers).

You shouldn't use them as a crutch because they can't solve the "10MB and 400requests" problem (though they will make it look better in something like keynote or gomez) but they are an absolutely critical part of a high performance global site.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help me to Analyse the Performance and get to the Root cause - pmeenan - 05-15-2014 12:28 AM