Current time: 03-01-2017, 03:44 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Image compression software
01-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Heart Best Image compression software
I would like some advice on the best piece of image compression software people recommend? I did have a piece of software but I can't remember what its called and now on a new machine.

I would be really grateful for any help on the best one to use. My page speed tests keep telling me I need to compress some images. I have ran them all through tinyjpg.com but still saying can get more out of them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2017, 08:08 AM
RE: Best Image compression software
Have you tried this site? https://shortpixel.com/online-image-compression

I've seen those compression messages as well though. Even re-edited some jpgs because it was reported they weren't progressive. Made them progressive through Photoshop, uploaded, and still see same message.
01-20-2017, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2017 01:37 PM by akshayranganath.)
You could try one of these software for image optimization:
  1. ImageOptim: This tool is now being offered as an API. I don't know if it is free for any level of use.
  2. Mozjpeg: This is the actual code used behind imageoptim. You could install it on your build / publishing server. As a part of the CMS publishing work flow, you could run the image through mozjpeg/cjpeg commands to reduce quality / losslessly compress the image. (This will work only on JPG images).
  3. Pngcrush: This software works only on PNG images. Again this is a command line tool and the actual code behind ImageOptim's PNG optimizing software. You could build optimizing PNG images into workflow thoug the software.

If you are looking for online tools, you can try https://compressor.io/. It doesn't expose the algorithm being used for the image compression. However, it is one of the better tools that I've seen for online use.

Follow me on twitter: @rakshay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2017, 06:24 PM
From these, I would reccommend Mozjpeg, it works really good, but like mentioned before it ony works with jpegs.
02-23-2017, 12:10 PM
I only use jpegmini and pnggauntlet.