Current time: 11-28-2020, 10:34 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Name Server Problem
10-26-2010, 03:31 AM
RE: Google Name Server Problem
(10-26-2010 03:16 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  Sorry, San Jose was using dedicated name servers until recently where the (savis I believe) servers lost their mind and tests started failing (followed with the machine itself going offline). I'll see if we can switch back.

That said, if they can't geo-locate Google's DNS they have a very real problem for real users (not sure what the usage is for Google's DNS is but I know it's non-trivial). They have a very nice architecture with anycast routing and nodes all over the place so it works well for end users.

<rant>
Akamai's DNS infrastructure on the other hand relies on being able to identify the physical location of the IP address of the customer's DNS server (Google's resolver in this case) from a database that they maintain and then make a routing decision based on that. If they ran a proper anycast DNS infrastructure of their own they wouldn't have to rely on lookups and a mapping database, the queries would route to the closest pop (or at least within the region if they didn't run DNS at every pop).

I've seen issues where the actual lookup times for Akamai-backed domains took 300+ms because of the way bind 8 rotates through authoratative servers and Akamai was answering the lookups from Asia - and this will get exponentially worse with bind 9.
</rant>

Thanks so much Patrick - that explains a lot. - one other thing I noticed that happened around the same time is that were starting having image compression scores range from F to B - where we've always seens an A score in the past - did something change here as well?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Google Name Server Problem - WetDesginer - 10-26-2010, 02:29 AM
RE: Google Name Server Problem - pmeenan - 10-26-2010, 03:16 AM
RE: Google Name Server Problem - WetDesginer - 10-26-2010 03:31 AM
RE: Google Name Server Problem - pmeenan - 10-26-2010, 03:41 AM
RE: Google Name Server Problem - pmeenan - 10-26-2010, 03:46 AM
RE: Google Name Server Problem - pmeenan - 10-26-2010, 05:55 AM