WebPagetest Forums
Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: WebPagetest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Private Instances (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent (/showthread.php?tid=380)

Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent - guypo - 09-19-2010 06:29 AM


I've downloaded and setup an instance of WebPageTest 2.0, and it worked great in an all-in-one windows server.
I then moved on to setup a linux server running the web part only, and that works, but one thing I can't make work are the generated images, like the waterfall images.

If I ask for a URL like: http://<host>/result/100918_6/1_waterfall_thumb.png
I get a 500 error and no image nor other info. This link is from the results page of a sample test.

A few more details to help troubleshoot:
- I'm using Ubuntu Server 10.04, Apache 2.2.14, and php5 (client is windows XP)
- URL rewriting looks like it works, getting to this URL: http://<host>/thumbnail.php?test=100918_6&run=1&file=1_waterfall.png
- I'm not getting any other errors in the web sever logs, even when switching to "debug" level
- The test itself and the textual result seem fine
- The following files are in the results folder of that test:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

btw, I came across a few other issues I managed to resolve, once the full system works I'll post those for the benefit of future installers Smile


RE: Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent - pmeenan - 09-19-2010 07:11 AM

Check your php.ini and make sure GD is installed. It is used for drawing the images and resizing the screen shots.



RE: Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent - guypo - 09-19-2010 08:46 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, and you are correct as usual... For some reason I thought it was built into php5.

So now that it all works, here are a few small issues I came across, for what it's worth:
1. I got an error in getwork.php(), line 70, when no work was available, since the $filename variable wasn't defined. Adding "isset($filename)" before it made that go away.
2. I got a similar problem in line 7 of updateFeeds.php, added a similar "isset($_GET['force'])" in that if.
3. I had "MultiViews" on in options for the webpagetest folder, which resulted in a weird rewrite to ".inc", and messed up the rewrites. Removing it made that problem go away.
4. As others before, I had to grant the apache user write access to several folders.
5. As others before, I had some case problems, I ended up just using lower case for the location.

To summarize, to setup the prereqs for a website on linux here's what I ran:
apt-get -y install apache2
apt-get -y install php5
apt-get -y install php5-gd

To enable apache modules I ran:
a2enmod php5
a2enmod rewrite
a2enmod expires
a2enmod headers
a2enmod deflate

And I used this config as the linux apache config (in the site config, beyond the apache defaults):
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/webpagetest
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Satisfy all
ExpiresActive off
FileETag None

<Directory /var/webpagetest>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride all
Order allow,deny
allow from all


RE: Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent - pmeenan - 09-21-2010 04:21 AM

Thanks. I added the 2 code changes to the trunk so they should show up in the next release. I'll also get a wiki page up for documenting the hosted installs and troubleshooting in the next day or so so we can gather the knowledge from all of the threads into a single place.